FLY-IN HUNTING TRIPS ALBERTA
Alberta is known for great moose hunting and many good opportunities exist over much of the province, however, all hunts are not created equal as the landscape is diverse. We operate in the largest most remote area in all of Alberta. We accommodate hunters in multiple camps across our 5000-square mile area. We are consistently opening new never before hunted territories. At Andrew Lake, we are located nearly 800 km northeast of Edmonton! With increased activity in the resource sector, a lot of the province has become easily accessible in the last several years. This access can provide challenges for trophy hunts as other outfitters and resident hunters compete for trophies.
The extreme northeast corner of Alberta has become famous for trophy hunting. The perfect combination of remoteness, habitat and genetics, helps to consistently produce trophy animals.
Our success has not gone unnoticed, many renowned hunters, outdoor writers and television programs have featured our big game outfitting.
Our calling season “Rut Hunts” can provide incredible excitement when a giant moose bull answers the call. Our guides will position each hunter in optimum locations across our exclusive 5,000 square mile guiding area. We cater to the self guided hunter as well. Many returning that have booked up to 19 consecutive trips with us.
moose rut hunts 2023
We were thrilled to have hunters returning for the 20th, 14th and 4th hunt with us as well as others for their very first trip. Succesful groups at our main lodge on Andrew Lake, our oupost cabins at South Leland Lake as well as our outfitted tent camps and drop camps.
Extra challenges this year with forest fires. smoke, evacuations and Fort Smith town closure. As always, we adapt and persevere. Thank you to our great guests. Many have rebooked for next year.
No Roads, Trails or Cut-lines
In addition we border the country’s largest national Park – Wood Buffalo and its millions of acres of protected land. The Northwest Territories borders to the north and there is no outfitting permitted in this region of the Northwest Territories.
Northern Alberta “Great Canadian Shield” Hunting Experience
Our territory is Alberta’s sole claim to the Canadian shield and the land is a combination of rugged outcroppings of rock and characterized by over 100 lakes.
We own and operate an air charter service, which allows us to fly the hunting area year round. This provides our hunters with a special advantage as we can set up camps in the best areas and continually open up new territory.
The combination of remote wilderness, exclusive outfitting rights and air charter support, all increase the odds for success.
FALL Rut & combination HUNTS
Our season runs from September 1st to October 3rd.
Early September hunts can be successful. Historically best calling success is mid to late Setpember.
Moose, Black Bear and fishing for Pike, Lake trout and Walleye.
Fort Smith is about 1300km from Edmonton on paved highway. Fort Smith is 565km from High Level. Fuel also avaible in Hay River, NWT.
Our hunters can also reserve free pre trip accommodation at our floatplane base the night before their trip.
- Hunter pick up is in Fort Smith, Northwest Territories (with daily airline service from Edmonton, Alberta)
- Average moose harvested has a 40″- 50″ + rack, with the largest scoring over 66″.
- Largest exclusive area in Alberta
- High scoring racks in Boone & Crocket and Safari Club
- Small camps 2-4 hunters
- Fly-in camps – lodge/cabin/outpost camps/spike camps
- Incredible trophy fishing available for Northern Pike, Lake Trout and Walleye
Bull coming in!
LAKES & RATES
We offer a selection of lakes and rate packages to suit your needs
Lake Trout, Northern Pike, Whitefish
South Leland Lake
Northern Pike, Walleye, Lake Trout, Whitefish
Drop-In Tent Camps
Choose from any of the 100's of lakes in the area to set up your own fly-in camp! Bring your own Tent & boat or rent our equipment.
Northern Pike, Walleye, Lake Trout
Lynx Tundra Lodge
Where the forest and the tundra meet. Adventure on the edge of NWT tree line. Incredible Fishing, landscapes and wildlife! Hike on an esker, Meet the Muskox & Caribou, witness Aurora!
Lake Trout, Arctic Grayling, Northern Pike
Rates & Packages
2023 SEASON – September 1 – October 3
Drop Camp Air Charter Service
- ALBERTA RESIDENTS ONLY (All non Alberta residents must be on guided package) Residents can get draw or undersubscribed tags WMU 532.
- Dates available
- September 1 – October 3
- Included Items:
- Based on 2 people, 3rd can join for free if under total weight or pay for extra flights
- Return flights to lakes within 45 miles 1400 pound limit (2-3 people + food, gear & all equipment) from Fort Smith, NWT
- Lakes beyond 45 miles – additional mileage (if required) $10/mile
- Free Flight for camp check mid week drop off camp supplies
- Free flight for moose meat pick up
- Free use of walk in freezer or cooler to hang and store meat
- Free Pre trip overnight accommodation / Free parking at floatplane base
- Up to 14 Days – Self guided Moose/Bear/Fishing
- Option to add rental inflatable boat & 9.9HP motor $1000 / 2 = $500 per person includes boat flight in & out
- Option 12 ft or 14 ft Aluminum Boat & 9.9HP Motor Rental add $1800 / 2 = $900 (per person) includes boat flight in & out
- Excluded Items:
- Gratuity to pilots and staff
- Bring ALL of your own camp gear, boat, canoe etc.
- External load & tie fees on Boat/canoe
- Boat fuel
- satellite phone/ Starlink rental available
- Additional flights (if required) $900 (700 pounds)
- Additional mileage over 45 miles (if required) $10/mile
Charter & Full Camp Rental Package
- Alberta Residents can get draw or undersubscribed tags WMU 532
- 2024 Dates available
- September 17 – 24 Andrew Lake
- September 19 – 26 South Leland
- September 8 – 15 Tent Camp 1
- September 15 – 22 Tent Camp 2
- September 22 – 29 Tent camp 3
- Included Items:
- FREE Pre trip overnight accommodation and parking at floatplane base
- 7 DAYS Self guided Moose/Bear/Fishing • Includes return up to 60 mile air charter from Fort Smith, NWT
- Unlimited weight for gear & food to be flown into Lake Camp
- All flights In & Out, Including: camp checks, meat & trophy transport to Fort Smith
- Complete camp: tent/cabin, cook stove, wood stove heater, cots, axe, saw, lanterns, propane cooking kit, table, chairs etc.
- Excluded Items:
- Extra days can be added at $300 per day
- Sleeping bag
- Hunting and Fishing gear
- Gratuity to pilots and staff
Fully Guided Hunt Package Rates
- Non Alberta Resident & Alberta Resident
- Included Items:
- Moose + 2 Bears + Fishing
- 2:1 Guiding (1×1 guiding available for additional $1,500)
- Return air charter from Fort Smith, NWT to camp
- Flying out all meat and trophies to Fort Smith, NWT
- Accommodation/meals while in camp
- WIN Card, Hunting License
- Moose tag and Bear tags (2)
- Wolf permit
- Fishing license
- No Trophy fees
- All taxes
- Excluded Items:
- Gratuity to guides and staff
FAQ Hunting Questions
For the Drop Camp Package - How do we select the lake?
There are about 100 lakes in the region. The habitat is changing with forest fire burns and new regrowth. We pick the lake based on moose activity that we have seen over the summer and over previous years, size of lake to match group size, boat, canoe etc. Fish species and flight distance for costs.
For the Drop Camp Package - I have my own equipment, but not sure on boat?
The drop camp works well as it is the same cost for the trip wether its 2 day or 2 weeks.
Many groups have the right equipment already, sometimes it is just the boat that needs to be confirmed. If you have a canoe or aluminum boat up to16ft we can tie it on the plane and fly it in. There are additional costs for any external tie ons. If you have an inflatable Zodiac type boat it is even easier as it can fit inside the plane.
We also have the option to rent just the boat and motor.
How much more to fly out of Fort McMurray instead of Fort Smith?
Unlike the fishing trip packages, the hunting groups have a lot more gear and food as they are going on for week or maybe two. This extra weight plus the unknowns of how many moose to fly out, make pricing form Fort McMurray challenging. On average trip costs would be about double that of Fort Smith. With the savings in flight costs and free parking and pre/post trip free accommodation in Fort Smith, most guests fly out of Fort Smith. Please contact us for specifics on your options.
What kind of success on the hunts?
Success can vary as there are groups hunting for the first time and some have flown in with us for several years. Some have been up 6, 10 and 19 years in a row!
Overall about half of the unguided groups have an opportunity and about half of those take a bull. Fishing can be very good in September especially for lake trout and pike. Some lakes have walleye too! Please let us know any preference on fish species and we can help select a lake suitable for your group.
For the Drop Camp Package can we rent a satellite phone?
Phone rentals are available in Fort Smith and can be reserved in advance if needed.
How do I get a fishing license and WIN card?
How should I store my firearms for the flight?
Plastic or metal case that can be locked for airline travel
Plastic or soft case for air charter planes
Trophy & Meat Care?
Meat can hang in camp if temperatures allow. We can also fly out meat to Fort Smith and store in walk in cooler facility.
I’m from another province and have hunted there; how do I get an Alberta hunting licence?
Non Alberta residents need to have non resident hunting licenses that are included in our fully guided hunt packages.
You need to buy a WIN card from a private license issuer before you can buy a license. Both can be purchased at private licence issuers.
For more information check out our FAQ page
Bookings and arrangements can be made through this form
Thank you for your interest in booking with us. Please complete this form to request your booking. Once we receive your e-mail, we will check availability, and will send you a confirmation e-mail with payment instructions. The trip is confirmed once payment has been received, and a booking confirmation has been e-mailed to you.